Saturday, April 7, 2012

Homelessness and children



     At the age of 24 my dear friend went through hard times.  She was unwanted by family and had nowhere else to go.  After months that I had not spoken to her, because of losing touch with her.  She called and had given me some insight to her homelessness that touched her and her 2 kids for months.  She began stated that her family was disgusted with her behavior and that noone wanted to take her in their homes.  Embarassed by her actions and decisions that she once created for herself, so was everyone else around her. 

     She has been on the streets without a car or somewhere to call a home.  Her kids were small and did not understand what was going on around them.  My friend,Jennifer, stated that she found a shelter that would take them in.  The only conditions were that she would only get 2 small cots, 1 for herself and the other for her small children that had to share.  She would need to beat the rush in the evening and if she and her children were lucky would have a nice warm place to sleep in for the night.  She needed to be gone first thing in the morning whether she felt sick or not.  This was not a good situation for her. 

     By the time that we had contacted each other I could somehow relate with what she went through.  At the age of 22.  I had found myself lost and with noone to turn to.  My family didn't want to help me.  I turned to the only help that I thought I new, my daughter's father.  For a short period of time he wanted to help me have a place to live, but with 1 condition that he would take me back and forth to work.  At that time I had no choice I did not want to live on the streets.  I decided that I need to find a place so I set off.  Only for the next 2 days would become my homeless state.  With my 2 year old daughter and myself we called my car home for 2 days. 

This was a terrible situation not for myself but for my daughter.  This was the worst time in my life that I reached.  The only thing left to do was to try to reach for my sister and have faith that I would get throught this.  I did.  With her help I found a place to live within 1 week and she helped me get through this.  I am so grateful that she was in my life and that she new that this living situation was over.  I was lucky many are not.  There are so many teenagers and adults that fall under the same siutation.  Sometimes this is unevitable and reoccurs.  Some choices are not always the best but are the choices that we have made.

     Many don't understand that most of us don't want to be on the streets.  Many don't have any family or friends to turn too so they are left broken hearted and treated as if they are not human.  I believe that everyone should be given a second chance in trying to find themselves within themselves.  We are not promised anything in life, not even another day.  It is truly up to ourselves to want and to want change. 



     This an image that I located.  It is not affliated with my story or my friends story.




No comments:

Post a Comment